Cosplay Progress: Elite Four DONE!

10354075_10153155054928755_2997254504052637561_n   Woo! I did it! I finished making all of the costumes for the elite four from generation one pokemon games. It was my first time attempting to make costumes for people other than myself. I think they all came together quite nicely! I didn't hand make every item, but I helped to get everything for these costumes by hitting thrift stores and making what we couldn't find. 1506995_10153155055343755_7639448094480917887_n   So from left to right, here's who the characters are and how I accomplished the different parts of the costumes. Me! I went as Lorelei. My costume was pretty simple. I already had the shirt from a million years ago that my mom bought me for a job interview. I took of the sleeves, took it in a little bit so it opened at a point at the bottom and popped my collar. The skirt was a thrift store find from a long time ago. It was on a 25 cent rack and I bought it for the fabric, but when we decided to do this cosplay I realized I could just hem it to the right length and add slits and BOOM! 90s mini skirt action. I wear glasses normally, so that was easy and styling my hair was relatively simple. I opted for flats instead of pumps though. I baby wore Natalie around the con in an Infantino Sash Mei Tai. I covered the patterened fabric panel with felt to look like a pokeball, I adhered it with elmers spray on adhesive. It worked pretty well, and isn't permanent so our carrier can return to it's normal looking self. I'm thinking I'm going to make patches I can safety pin onto this for when we go to Dragoncon in order to solve the "how do I transport my child safely and stylishly?" dilemma.   Next up, Brian! Brian went as Bruno, the fighting-type Pokemon trainer. His costume was incredibly simple. He already had a ripped up pair of gi pants that a friend had passed down to him. I ordered a black belt and sweatbands off of Amazon for $15 combined. I love me some Amazon Prime. Brian wasn't feeling like wearing a wig, so we just spiked his normal hair and called it a day.   Next is Lisa who went as the ghost-type trainer, Agatha. Her dress we found at a thrift store and it was almost perfect as is. It had a key hole opening in the front that I stitched closed for this cosplay. I used a scrap piece of lace I had lying around to fashion her collar. The gem on the front I found on clearance at Joann's for $2, but it was a clear rhinestone. I used regular acrylic paint in a dusty rose shade and painted the gem. I figured it would catch on the facets and look a little uneven as well as dry down to a matte finish. That way it looks kind of like a natural agate, but way cheaper than any other option I could have found. I made the apron from two fat quarters and some scrap ribbon and white fabric from my stormtrooper cosplay. Her staff I made from Styrofoam cylinders I found at Joann's for a couple bucks. I mushed up a piece of duct tape and set it on top, but paper mached the entire piece. Finally I painted it with a variety of brown shades and left a divet in the top of the staff for her pokeball to sit. Lastly is Andy who went as the dragon-type trainer, Lance. We found his shirt and pants at a thrift store. I added the orange bias tape to the shirt so it would work for the cosplay. I sewed his cloak without a pattern and attached silver buttons and chains. The collar I made by putting the thin kind of cardboard inside a fabric pocket and attaching it the cloak. I'm pretty sure I should have used interfacing in retrospect, but hey, it worked! Andy found his boots at Walmart, they're women's Ugg boots haha! He attached orange washi tape to the tops and voila! All the pokeballs were made from plastic christmas ornaments that I painted.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>